Make this simple and easy strawberry rhubarb galette from the ingredients straight from the garden or your freezer.
1 Pie dough crust – I used this recipe
2 Medium Rhubarb stalks cut into strips about 4 inches long
4 cups chopped strawberries – if frozen your galette will be runnier
1/2 cup brown sugar or maple syrup
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg white
Cane Sugar or Coconut Sugar for sprinkling on top
- While pie crust is chilling, heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pull out Cast Iron skillet and lay parchment paper into the skillet
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the strawberries, brown sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Pull dough from refrigerator and flour your surface and roll it out into a circle.
- Lay flattened dough onto the parchment paper in the skillet and let it hang over the edges.
- Scoop the strawberries into the middle of the dough. Then lay the strips of rhubarb into whatever pattern you would like on top of the strawberries.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the filling and adjust as needed to bring it all together.
- Wash the top of the dough with egg white and then sprinkle with cane sugar
- Cook for 40 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool mostly before serving. Can be served with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.