Here is a delicious slaw recipe to help you clean out the cabbage drawer in your refrigerator. It’s simple, healthy, tasty food that will warm you.
1/2 of a medium to large red cabbage (you can use a green or napa in place if you cannot find red)
3 medium carrots
1 daikon radish (or any type of radish that is available to you)
1 Fennel Bulb (can be replaced with turnip or eliminated completely if not available)
1 handful chopped Cilantro (if not available try another herb that is available or use the feathery tops of the fennel)
1/2 mild or sweet onion
Dressing for Slaw:
1/4 cup rice vinegar (could also use white wine vinegar or apple cider)
1/8 cup olive oil
1 tbsp local honey
salt and pepper to taste
*zest of a lime or lemon or any in-season citrus
Add on options: a few dashes of a hot sauce like Cholula or a splash of Toasted sesame oil
- Wash and open the cabbage head. Cut into a chunk you can run on a mandolin. Shave the cabbage on the mandolin down as far as you can. Watch your fingers though! Add all of this into a bowl you plan to mix everything in.
- Grate carrots and radishes into the same bowl with the cabbage.
- Mandolin red onion and fennel into the bowl with the cabbage as well.
- Chop the cilantro and drop in bowl.
- Toss everything together for the first big mix
- Place all dressing ingredients into a jar you can place a top on to. Shake vigorously and taste. Add salt and pepper or vinegar as needed.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing onto slaw a little at a time mixing and checking flavor. Once at the right place the dish is ready to serve.