Simple homemade tomatillo salsa verde recipe that can be used with any fresh ingredients and then eaten right away or frozen for later.
2–3 lbs of tomatillos
1 medium onion
1–2 jalapeno peppers (deseed to make it less spicy)
3–4 garlic cloves
1 handful of fresh cilantro
juice of one lime
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees if using the oven or place in a hot grill. If doing raw skip this step and jump to step 5.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Quarter or half all tomatillos and lay on a baking sheet. Half and deseed jalapeno. Quarter onion. Place whole peeled garlic cloves all on the baking sheet together.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the tomatillos are losing their bright green tone and wrinkling on the skins and fragrant. If doing on the grill it will be slightly faster and they will get a char on them. That is when they are ready.
- In a blender or food processor bowl place the cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once everything is cooked blend it in the food processor or blender with the other ingredients.
- Pour and serve warm or place in the fridge to cool and enjoy throughout the week.
**** You can freeze this in Freezer ready ball jars very easily. Place in a jar to fill the line and cool completely before placing in the freezer. Take out and warm on the stove before serving. ****
After placing in the fridge you will find the salsa a little solid when removing…allow it to come to room temp or even warm it for a moment on the stove on low heat and stir well till it combines easily.