Sourdough crackers are a simple snack that you can make in your own kitchen. Here is an easy step-by-step guide on how to make delicious homemade crackers.
2/3 Cups of sourdough starter (I use mine right before I feed it that day to make these)
3 Tblsp. Olive Oil
3/4 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (I have also used whole wheat and it works very well as well)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Course finishing salt to spring on top ( I use Maldon)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. I use a rubber spatula to combine the dough. Then I need to use my hands until it is well mixed and a nice ball.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours. This helps the sourdough flavor come out through fermentation etc.
- About 15 min. Before you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the oven readies, place dough on the counter that is sprinkled with flour and divide your dough into two balls. Roll the first ball out to about a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thick.
- Then slice the crackers into squares using the pastry scraper. You can also use a pizza cutter, but I hate cleaning them so I like the pastry scraper better.
- Place each cracker on the baking sheet one by one with a little space between and before placing in the oven sprinkle them with coarse salt.
Cook till they are golden brown in color around 5-8 minutes depending on your oven.
Remove from the oven and let cool before storing in a jar.
Repeat these steps till all crackers are cooked and ready for storage.
Keywords: crackers, pantry, sourdough, fermentation, easy