We are in full on asparagus season up here and will be for another few weeks. That said, I had to share the easiest and simplest way to eat asparagus that literally takes no time or effort. This roasted asparagus recipe is one you can do without any forethought other than having fresh asparagus.
Below is the recipes, but first if you didn’t know here are some quick facts about growing asparagus and why we need to appreciate this amazing vegetable.
Quick Facts about the Asparagus:
- Asparagus takes about 3 years before you can harvest, but once you set it in motion you will have a crop for years and years without much maintenance
- Asparagus turns into ferns when it goes to seed, gorgeous ones!
- Asparagus actually can grow wildly in fields and woods all over the northern areas of our region.
- Asparagus does actually make your pee stink. The rumor is true.
If you want to learn more about asparagus, you can check this post out I shared a few years ago.
For the recipe it is quite simple here is what you need:
1 lb of asparagus with the woody parts cracked and removed
1 tbsp olive oil for coating
Salt and pepper
Fresh Lemon for a good squeeze
Roasting the asparagus is simple:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a cutting board crack asparagus stems off the asparagus and place on the roasting sheet
- Pour Olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Toss the asparagus with your hands to evenly coat and then separate the asparagus so it doesn’t touch. This insures that they will get crispy and not soggy.
- Place on the middle rack and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes till you start seeing it get wrinkly on the exterior and looking cooked
- Pull out and squeeze a little lemon on the asparagus and serve hot
It is that easy my friends and it is literally the best. You can also cook them like this and then add to a Frittata like this one or chop them and add them to a salad as well.
Tell me what is your favorite way to cook asparagus?!